Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Going for it!

Looking down at my bruised, bloodied knees I sigh. While lunging for the tennis ball, my feet just couldn't keep up with my enthusiasm, and I fell. My brand new shirt was now stained with the dust of the clay court. I wiped the dirt off my perspiring skin, and the gravel from my palms. I'm not sure if we won the point, but it was certainly worth it.

I can recount the adventures I had as a kid, by the scars and the chipped tooth I still wear on my body. The chip on my front tooth, which I never had fixed, is from the time I was racing the guys in the neighboorhood on my Schwinn Sting Ray, ladies edition,with a banana seat, around a tight corner out of the alley. I was in the lead. First one home was the winner! Last one was a rotten egg.

I didn't see the loose gravel on the road, as my back tire skidded out from under me. I lost control and I came tumbling down, mostly on my face....mostly on my two front teeth. There was concern that I would lose them, but I didn't. Neither did I lose the story of why I have the chip.

The scars on my knees were from endless adventures in the neighborhood. Before the shopping center came, and the construction on all the new homes, our house was surrounded by orchards of various fruit, and tomato fields. Great places to fight the enemy, with endless supply of ammo.

I like my scars and imperfections. I like my white hair. It would be a shame to have todays lasers blast my skin to make it smooth again and dyes to cover my hair. It would be blasting out my past, as if it never happened. I don't want my skin pulled tight, or my chipped tooth fixed, or my boobs enlarged. It took all this time to become who I am. It would be a shame to lose all that history.

No comments: