Monday, July 31, 2006

Live a Little

"You need to live a little. You need to roll down the windows and stick your head out! You're going to regret it someday, Mom. You just need to loosen up"

I'm a child of the 60's. I used to wear flowers in my hair, and march for peace. I wore tie dye, and beads, and hip huggers and wide belts. I was part of Earth Day, when the earth didn't get much notice. Live a little? I went to Europe with a backpack. I slept in youth hostels and carried my guitar so I could strum and sing on the streets. I was cool then!

Now, I'm a mom. Granted, I spike my hair, and have a nose ring, but I am still a mom. I take my daughter shopping so she can buy tie dye, beads and hip huggers with wide belts. She plays the guitar. She is cool, and I need to loosen up.

I'm not sure where all the years have gone, and how I lost my coolness. Maybe its when I birthed my children, and became responsible. Maybe its when I took my daughter shopping and she didn't like anything I choose. She was 2. I lost some of it, when my kids wanted to sleep in fancy hotels, and I wanted to go camping. I lost even more of it when I got a mortgage on a house, which meant I had to work and pay the bills. It takes a certain kind of seriousness to handle this life I've created. I think I lost most of it, when my dad died, and my mom got diagnosed with cancer....again. The thought of being an orphan scares me, even if I am an adult.

So I'm trying to become more cool. I've got a myspace account. For a few days I was a 17 year old, single, and not interest in children. I'm not sure how those adjectives got attached to my account, but it was disturbing to my daughter when she read "not interested in children." I changed it to be who I am. 53 years old, married with kids.

I will roll down those windows and stick my head out one of these days. Right now, its about 100 degrees outside. I will wait for a cooler day.

1 comment:

Painterskip said...

Hi, there!

So I found you by way of Joe Moraca's blog...one of them, which led me to your website, then to the blog on your website to this blog I'm wrting in right now....

It's been an interesting day. I mention that because I too will be 'fixing up a clown' ....I found this out this afternoon. And then I find Joe's post about you doing one as well. Thing is, I hadn't planned on it...but that's another story...this clown coincidence was the second strange happening today...theirin the 'interesting day' comment.

Anyway, I enjoyed your website....love the design. Can't wait to see your clown. And...so far, I enjoy your writings. Your latest post here struck a nerve with me....I'm about the same age and feeling the same way...LOL and, I lost my mom quite suddenly about a year ago....it still doesn't seem real. I used to want to move back to PA really bad until that happened. I'm still keen on moving but it'll be about 1100 miles away from PA.....probably around Arlington Park....we're finally bailing out of Towles Court:-)

So I subscribed to your RSS feed and look forward to your clown story. I've been doing the same with my larger mural projects for a couple years now..it's fun, even if no one is listening.

Great work.....

Skip
www.skipdyrda.com
www.sarasotamurals.com