Friday, July 22, 2005

Grunting

What is it about tennis and grunting? Why do top athletes have to grunt so loud. Its quite disturbing. I can take once or twice, but every hit? I grew up in the old fashion tennis way. Proper white attire, proper manners. I was almost British in my demeanor. My shot selection was limited, but effective. Hit it in!

I can think of a few times that I would want to grunt, like stubbing my toe, or lifting something too heavy. Pigs grunt from just being alive. I wouldn't call tennis players pigs, but if I were to pass an open field and listen I might mistaken the sounds on the court for a farmyard.

It would make it a bit easier to take, if the pro grunters were ugly. But they aren't and they are seen on the covers of all the latest magazines. I think the headlines should read "She grunts like a pig and makes millions"

I was playing doubles the other day, and for the life of me, couldn't get my serve in. My timing was off. My opponents, who by the way were beautiful and could be on a magazine cover, were killing me with their serve, and grunting. So I started timidly to grunt. It took a bit of timing. I'd hit the ball, and then grunt. Or I'd grunt and then hit the ball. I felt like a pig trying to find her voice. And then it happened. I tossed the ball, grunted in perfect unison with hitting it, and it went in.

I'm a firm believer in grunting now. I don't know why or how it works, but it does. And I don't care who is listening.

The other day I had a match with a woman who whistled to herself as she prepared to hit the ball. I know for a fact, that I cannot whistle and grunt at the same time.

No comments: