Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Hugging the Enemy

We just survived hurricane Wilma's fury. Over and over again, nature has battered our poor state of Florida. We mop up, pick up debris and face the next day. Sunshine and clear skies always follow Mother Nature. Today, was no different. Our tennis match went on as if nothing happened. It was a bit more breezy as the outer bands moved through. The billowing white clouds was our backdrop for our rival tennis match across town.

Linda and I were talking strategy as we walked to the battlefield - court No. 4. We are competitive players...nice to be around, but we both have killer instincts. It must be because we come from large families, and we had to make our mark early in life, before the siblings swallowed up all the attention. Linda found her limelight with words used with great pageantry. I used yoyos, tennis and any kind of competition. We smile and joke, but we both hate to lose.

We decided to start the game aggressively to throw them off. I met the enemy and watched as Linda hugged one of the players. How can this be? I am thinking about destroying them with a slice serve, and she is hugging. I never asked her if it was some new strategy we hadn't discussed. It certainly was a new approach. Hug them then hit the ball at them. I've never seen Agassi hug, or even Nadal, until after the last point. There are a few I'd like to hug. I could hug Nadal before and after the set. The same with Roger Federer. I'm sure all the guys would want to hug Maria Sharapova.

We didn't win today. We were both a bit off. Hugging. I need to practice that more. Until then - no more hugging the enemy unless we both agree beforehand.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a really good perspective from someone competitive. I am not the competitive type; I'm a laid back person, and I think that this entry showed me a bit of what goes on inside a competitive person's (twisted) mind. I see. So that's what hugging is for.