Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Play Your Game!

Bleachers are usually not where you'll find me. Most of the time, I'm the one on the courts, running around, hitting the ball. These last two weeks, it just worked out where I was the spectator, cheering my team on to victory. It's given me a new perspective on the game of tennis. My 18 year old spirit body wants to dash quickly on the court, when in reality, my 52 year old body moves pretty slow. It doesn't feel like it when I play, but after watching my teammates, I know I'm the same speed. Its ok if I play others in my own age group. It becomes a problem when I play and an 18 year old with matching spirit and body. They not only look better, with they smooth skin, and flat tummies, but their knees don't creek when they walk.

I play with lots of enthusiasm, but also with lots of years behind me. Wisdom carries such things as, "Who's picking up the kids?" and "What am I going to cook for dinner?" Score is 40-15. "I wonder how my dad is doing in Calif?" Game, set. That's alot to handle while playing a match. That's why I have my partner keep score, and just point me in the right direction.

I found myself clapping today as each side made fabulous shots. The babes were playing the Grandmas, and the Grandmas almost won, until the babes started to play their game. They were aggressive, and charged, and looked really good in their outfits. I want to always play my game. In tennis, and in life. It's being honest and having integrity. It's giving it my all, and doing my best. In making dinner, it's trying to get all the food groups in one sitting. Planning, having a strategy, and a back up plan. So I forgot an important ingredient for the main dish. So, I gave away a point in a tie-breaker! It all works out in the end.

So, Go Team. Play your game!!!

No comments: