Sunday, January 01, 2006

Breaking Point vs. Target

I always knew there was a point that I would snap. I didn't know where it was or what it would look like. You can only push me so far, I've always thought, and then look out. I've never reached that point in my life, although I've been pushed pretty hard in lots of directions. Until last week.

The day of my dad's funeral was full of sadness and tension in trying to get all the little details taken care of. There are so many decisions to be made when someone dies. They are laid to rest, for sure, while we scramble to get it all done. At least with weddings, you usually get months to plan. Funerals a few days, if your lucky. We actually had 6 days.

Deciding what to dress him in was easy. My mom, in her daze, suggested his suit. "Do you want us to bury you in a dress?" I asked with loving sarcasm. I've only seen my dad in a suit, and my mom in a dress maybe twice in my life. We buried him in his work pants with lots of pockets, a long sleeve t shirt, with another two t shirts over that. The suspenders finished it off. That's how my dad always looked.

I had met with the grieving ladies at the church rectory to pick out prayers for the mass. It was hard. I had to go generic. Faithful servant of the church just didn't fit my dad. He only went to major events, like baptisms, and weddings. He did volunteer at all the church BarBQs, and pancake breakfasts. I never knew you could add beer to any recipe. It sure made the pancakes fluffy.

We gathered photos for a remembrance table. I had a family portrait that I needed framed. The one I bought at Target was broken, so I asked my mom, if she would exchange it for a flawless one. She needed to get out of the house anyway, and welcomed the excuse to go for a drive. Twenty minutes later, I got a call. "They won't exchange the frame. I don't have the receipt" To which I replied "Where are you standing, right now" "Outside the door" she said. Poor mom. She's had such a tough week. "Don't move, I'll call you right back"

Just as I was dialing the store my son walked by. "You better keep going, you don't want to hear this" My blood was almost to the boiling point. "Customer Service please" I said is a very steady voice. "May I help you" the innocent little checker said. "My mom just tried to return a frame, and I don't understand why you didn't exchange it" "Store policy, we need a receipt" "May I please talk to the manager" I said with all the politeness my Catholic upbringing could muster. I was put on hold for a moment, while my mom was calling in on another line. "Hold tight mom, I'll be right back with you" Click, the manager answers the phone, to which I start screaming "My mother just tried to return a F%#$ing frame that was broken, I don't understand why you aren't exchanging it" "Store Policy" she said. "I don't care what the f%#$ing policy is. We are getting ready for a funeral, and I sent my poor mother on a errand to get her out of the house. What the hell is going on! "It's store policy" she started to say again. "Listen, I spend thousands of dollars in Target each year, I live in Florida. There has NEVER been a problem returning something. I'm not asking for money back! I just want you to exchange the F%#$ frame." By this time, any movement in the house stopped. People were not moving around. Silence. "I will never shop in Target again"..... I think I was breathing fire at this moment. "Will you let me finish? Please send your mother back in and we will make an exception." "It's safe to go back in now mom" People started moving around the house again.

I greeted her with a smile when she returned . "I think you need to wash my mouth out with soap", I said. I told her all about my outburst. She took one look at me, and we hi-fived each other.

The lovely Target frame now sits in her home, showcasing a portrait of our family.

No comments: