Friday, January 13, 2006

Buying Land in California

"We're going to go buy land" I told my friend on the phone. "We're looking for a place that would be easy to find, near the road. Shade is not important" My brother Chuck, and I were deciding on a place to bury my dad. The serious little lady from the cemetery, carrying her official notebook of available plots, gaves us the ok on potential places. I stood on one, while my brother was standing on the other. We had it narrowed down to two possiblities. "Hows this one" I shouted to him, as he stood on his plot nearby. "Its everything we want. Easy to find, near the road. One could actually just drive by and not get out of the car. We'll take it" The lady wrote the numbers down, and the deal was done.

There are so many details to dying. People say that the deceased are put to rest. I think the term "rest" should apply to those left behind, that have to decide all the details. My dad died of Alzheimer's and other complications. After he died, we rested. My mom, who cared for him for many many years is resting now. She no longer has to barricade herself in her bedroom at night. She no longer has to care for his every need. She misses him, and she's resting.

When I stood at the casket, and looked at my dad, I rested. I rested in the fact that the journey was over, and I was tired. Tired of seeing my dad go away, over and over again, never to come back whole. He was dressed in his pants with many pockets, his suspenders that had many notes from his family tucked beneath the elastic, and his tshirts. He did look asleep, kinda. The lipstick gave it away, that it really was just a body. My dad never wore lipstick. We had placed other sentimental items in the casket. A bottle of Heinz ketchup. A bottle of beer, vodka and orange juice. The most touching sight was all the notes. I wish I could have read them. I wish I could have peeked.

When my dad was lowered into his final "resting" place, someone noticed that the guy right next to him was a friend of his. A drinking friend from one of the local bars. Just like my dad, to be hanging out with his friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Judy,
Thank you so much for sharing your stories and experiences with me. I really enjoyed reading your blog.

Peg