Friday, August 19, 2005

Cross My Heart

God did not bless me with big boobs. He has blessed me in many other ways, but mammaries are not one of them (or two of them for that matter). Cross your heart, was as a child, making a promise. I promise to say the truth. Why a bra was named for such a truthful expression is beyond me. Cross your heart for an uplifting look, or cross your heart, padded and they appear bigger. That's not telling the truth. We would cross our hearts, and hope to die if we lied.

"Be your own ideal. Cross Your Heart's signature criss-cross lift elevates you and your self-image, with beautiful shaping that's still true to you. For a flattering, confident silhouette that keeps you looking your best. Watch out, World." —Playtex

My first bra was a "Cross Your Heart". It did not elevate my self image, or make me feel like I was looking my best. Watch out, World. I was a young girl, with this elastic contraption strapped to my chest. I could hardly raise my arms, let alone breathe deeply. I don't think it fit, but I never said anything.

My daughter wore her first bra to second grade. I mentioned it to the teacher in case there was a problem. Her body didn't need one, but her wanting to be a big girl did. God has blessed her now, in ways He didn't bless me.

I enjoy watching her in cheerleading. It is a new way for her to elevate her self image. Mine, on the other hand, got lost temporarily in the parent seating area. I turned to the lady on my right. We exchanged names and nicetees. The small waisted woman with long blonde hair was very blessed. I don't think my God blessed her, I think that she paid someone for her blessings. The lady on my left was blessed the same. Even the owner of the place was blessed. Their bottled blonde hair was no match for my natural gray/white. I tried not to stare, or even laugh at the comical scene. I kept wondering if they could raise their arms, and still breathe.

That's the truth....honest....cross my heart.

No comments: