Saturday, August 20, 2005

Don't Misinterpret My Kindness For Weakness

Have you ever just heard something that you just had to stop and listen? And you knew your life had changed direction a bit.

Happened on the tennis court. In the midst of an intense rally, Linda punched the ball for a winning point. The moment she said those words, I knew I would learn a lot from this woman. For years I was kind and weak. Life has toughened me up a bit. I'm still kind, but certainly not weak!

We are playing doubles together, learning how to ebb and flow, holding back and going for the juggler. The strategy is so different than playing singles. I've always been a singles player. Its hard for me to rely and trust someone. I'd either win or lose on my own shots. It can be a lonely game. No one to share in the highs and lows. But not doubles. There is a constant chatter of encouragement and strategy that feeds my competitive nature and nourishes my need to share what I do with someone.

With laughter and joy we are becoming friends and a winning team.

Thanks Punch!

No comments: