Tuesday, September 20, 2005

I Am World Famous!

My image has traveled the globe. I am in photo albums around the world, in countries I can't even remember, let alone pronounce. I'm mostly in albums in Japan. If you look closely you can see me...there in the background. Sometimes I'm in front, as I walk in front of a group, not realizing they are posing for a picture. In major movies, they pay for extras to fill a shot. You don't get mentioned in the credits, but there is no denying your presence.

I thought a lot about this, while on my trip to Italy. Each tourist had a camera. Stopping and taking pictures was the norm. Even in the Sistine Chapel, where pictures are forbidden, I saw people snapping photos. Some were discreet, and others just let the flash go off. I saw a lot of camera phones there. You would think people would have a little more guilt being in God's chapel. I guess they weren't Catholic. Catholics know guilt better than most. I know, I felt it.

I spent 45 minutes climbing the steps inside the dome at St. Peter's Basilica. It was hot, and humid, and the steps narrowed as we made our ascent. I was in front of three teenage boys from Germany. We were almost at the top, when I stopped to take a break and turn around to see where I had come from. Just when my eyes focused, and my mouth fell opened, the flash of their camera went off. I wish I could see that photo. I'm sure it showed every nose hair I have, and cavities in my mouth. They laughed and so did I. I'm glad they live so far away.

When I got home, and looked at all 431 snapshots I took, I started looking in the background to see who was there. Japan was well represented, and so were Americans. Americans are easy to spot. Bright colors, white tennis shoes. The Japanese are usually in a tight group with someone holding a flag. I saw families dragging kids behind them, and groups of teenagers hanging out. I think its universal for teenagers to hang out. Here, it's at the mall. In Italy its at a fountain, or piazza.

Each person has a story. Some we know, but mostly not. In their small way, as an extra in my photo, they influence the composition. My favorite picture is of my friend Linda, in Florence, with the majesty of the cathedrals in the background, – a tourist walked by, in front, and made the most wonderful composition. I have no idea who she is, but thanks ...for the story. (See photo below.)

No comments: