Monday, September 12, 2005

Just Penciled In

Finally. My trip to Italy has begun. I'm buckled in, and imagining the wonderful sights I will see. The passport I held in my hand fell open, and I saw the photo of myself, that looks nothing like me anymore.

I had prepared well, and left copies of documents with others in case something tragic happened while out of the country. In the space for emergency contact, I had written in pencil my dad's name and phone number. I had to erase it and put someone else's name there. It was a sad moment, to realize if someone called him, he wouldn't know who they were talking about. The name of his eldest daughter was lost, as has the names of his 5 kids.

Now, if you asked him about "that nice lady that lives far away" they would get a reply. If you asked him about "that guy that lives in a different country", he would say he knows me. We are one in the same. His mind tells him he doesn't have kids, we know better. He has 5. We have been renamed. Even my mom has been renamed. She gets called the names of my dads female friends. She is kind. She answers to all of them.

My oldest brother Chuck is now "my very good friend that likes me", that is, if he stops and speaks to my dad. If he just walks by without a word, then he is "that guy that doesn't like me"

My younger brother David is the "guy with the three dogs, and my very favorite man". I think he only has 2 dogs, but that's beside the point.

Karen, my younger sister is the "lady next door amd does my hair". That's easy for him, she literally lives next door and she does indeed cut his hair.

Lori, the youngest is the "blonde bomber" She's also been called "fat". My sister is no way fat. She is beautiful, and has long blonde hair. She is also his favorite.

Somedays when we visit, he doesn't even recognize those terms, or our faces. After a family gathering of about 20 people, I talked to him on the phone. "Yes, I had a great time" he exclaimed with enthusiasm. "These people were so nice, but I have no idea who they are." I'm glad someone in my family remembers who we are, while my dad is on his own trip...out of the country.

No comments: