Wednesday, September 14, 2005

It only takes a spark, to get a fire going.....

Going to Rome and visiting the Vatican, is like mecca for catholics. It's where the Pope is. It's where thousands of believers gather to get a glimpse of him when he appears in front of the little window, or when he drives by in his popemobile. I saw neither. This is catechism 101 in real time, with nuns and brothers walking everywhere. I felt like I was on a pilgrimage, even though I hadn't really given it much of a thought before I got there. I got caught up in the hugeness of the basilica, and the inspiration of the art. The Sistine Chapel is hard to describe. My forefinger hasn't quite straighten out, since seeing the scene of God's finger touching man's. All I have to say is the words "Sistine Chapel" and my forefinger starts to bend.

I was on a mission of sorts. I wanted to light a candle, and say a prayer for all my friends and family. I was taught as a child that lighting one and saying a prayer would reduce the time spent in purgatory, and they would get to heaven sooner. I don't believe that. I just wanted to stand as close as I could to heaven, the same place that the pope stands in, so my prayers would go straight to the top...right to St. Peter. I was in his house. I was thinking of my prayers, the same time I was looking for the candles. I saw the flickering lights near a side chapel that glowed with the light coming through ancient stain glass windows. I reached into my pocket to pull out a few euros, when I just stopped. All prayers ceased at this time. All thoughts of the expressway to the pearly gates stopped. The candles that were to carry my deepest prayers to heaven were electric light bulbs. How could this be! I was in the pope's home church. I was in the heart of all Catholicism, and there were no wax candles!

I did not pray for my family or my friends. I had a few choice words with those standing around me. Not religious talk, but honest straightforward grunts. I was not a happy camper! And even though I don't go to catholic church anymore, I felt betrayed a bit.

A few days later, I was in another Italian town, another ancient catholic church, and more ancient stain glass windows> And there were waxed candles. There were about 10 unlit candles amongst many that formed a circle, in tiered layers. I put my euros in, lit my candle and moved it to the top row. Just in case. I wanted my prayers to go straight to St. Peter. Yes. Amen.

No comments: